Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The Manufacturing Operations Shift Manager is responsible for oversight of all operations on their assigned shift. The Operations Shift Manager is accountable for the safety of the site, ensuring a quality driven workforce, continuously challenging inefficiency and process loss at every opportunity, establishing a team culture of continuous improvement and the unrelenting pursuit of excellence. The Manufacturing Operations Shift Manager will lead a cross-functional team and utilize relationship building skills to develop a culture of success through coaching, mentoring and strong personal leadership
describe the most critical responsibilities/accountabilities of this position)
- Lead a Health and Safety culture within operations; ensure the team consistently sets site safety best practices by demonstrating zero tolerance behavior, continually challenging and raising Safety standards.
- Ensures compliance with all safety, GMP, and corporate policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the ownership of all safety incidents and quality deviations that occur on shift. This includes triage, initiation, investigation, timely closure, and any resulting CAPAs.
- Accountable for the supervision and execution of all manufacturing operations within their assigned shift. Including activities such as production schedule execution, area cleaning, environmental monitoring, maintenance, In-process sampling and testing, validation, and construction activities within their shift.
- Participates in and advances critical site strategy initiatives such as STOP, Bravo Recognition, HOP, Strategic Leadership, LDR and Shop Floor Quality
- In-direct management responsibilities for laboratory, maintenance (including IFM), QA, and visitors working on their shift.
- Drives opportunities to improve, simplify, and eliminate waste while reducing the opportunities for human error during manufacturing execution.
- Responsible for area inspection readiness and provides direct audit support.
- Works with Shift Supervisors to ensure timely and accurate reporting of Tier 1 metrics and issues.
- Provides coaching and mentoring. Regularly meets with staff to discuss performance, career, and development.
- Conducts personnel and team performance management including objective setting, performance appraisal reviews and succession planning.
- Provides shift continuity by attending the daily shift huddles
- Leads Tier 2 meetings and ensures proper escalation of shift issues
- Leads area GEMBA walks that focus on safety, compliance, efficiency, and waste elimination.
- Provides continuity in communications to area/site personnel for safety issues and significant deviations.
- Shares metrics and performance data to all groups.
- Accountable for 5S and other OpEx initiatives.
- Collaborates with site and network groups to meet site objectives
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc:
(describe the most critical competencies which are required to perform the job)
- Strong working knowledge of cGMP practices, FDA/EMA, compliance requirements, OSHA requirements, etc.
- Strong understanding of safety dangers (steam, pressure, chemical, etc.) and best practices for safe working behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully coach and develop people and teams.
- Ability to create an environment of trust, compliance, safety, continuous improvement and learning.
- Excellent problem solving, decision making and communication skills.
- Change agent with demonstrated history of continuous improvement.
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint is preferred.
(list required education and experience, along with any additional education/experience/qualifications that are preferred)
- Knowledge of science generally attained through studies resulting in a B.S. in science, engineering, biochemistry or related discipline, or its equivalent is highly desired.
- Direct biologic manufacturing experience of 8+ years with minimum of 3+ years of previous supervisory experience which demonstrates proficiency in selection of team and effectively managing personnel issues is required.
- Extensive knowledge of SOPs and cGMPs and the know-how to work and manage within a regulated environment
- Strong knowledge of biopharmaceutical manufacturing processes with a proven record in biopharmaceutical technology
- Strong change management skills and demonstrated ability to simplify and improve business processes
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and manage a team with matrix reporting relationship
- Adaptable to a fast paced, complex and ever-changing business environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with technical writing skills
- Proficiency in the use of computers and business software applications
- Yellow or green belt certified in lean manufacturing/operational excellence
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
This a managerial position in a manufacturing facility with classified areas requiring appropriate gowning and personal protective equipment (PPE). This role will require working around hazardous conditions and materials such as caustic, acids and steam. Powdered materials and high temperature liquids are also handled in the respective areas. This position is a rotating shift position.
(only include if supervisory responsibilities are required)
- Will supervise a direct staff of 4-10 employees with department level managerial responsibilities.
Approved Reporting Manager Signature
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.