Senior Software Engineer - Syracuse
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Information Technology
The Senior Software Engineers primary responsibility will be to participate in the creation of new products and enhancements to existing products from concept to launch as part of a cross-functional project team. The Senior Software Engineers responsibility to the team is to design, implement, and test solutions that result in compelling, easy to use products. Sr. Software Engineer will be responsible for a demanding and rewarding variety of duties related to the development, enhancement and delivery of an industry-leading product.
- Work closely with all business functions (buyers, salespeople, warehouse workers, transportation, etc.) and business analyst to understand daily, weekly, monthly, and other cyclical needs.
- Collaborates with other software engineers who are building software offerings that integrate with this platform.
- Applies truly agile approaches to project development (short iterations, frequent inspection and adaptation) to develop clear sense of direction and trust with stakeholders.
- Negotiates trade-offs and compromises.
- Implements features in a vertical fashion whenever possible (i.e. UI, Business Rules, Database Access Layers, External Interfaces, and Actual Database Scheme Design).
- Selects development tools that are appropriate and effective for getting the job done.
- Occasional travel to Rochester 1 or 2 times per year
Knowledge Skills and Assessments:
- Experience designing and/or maintaining proprietary enterprise systems
- Experience with Microsoft SSIS and SSRS
- Familiar with software modernization techniques such as ADM
- Experience developing mobile software for iOS and Android
- Experience with the latest and greatest web standards, including HTML5 and CSS3
- Knowledge of web libraries and frameworks such as node.js, jQuery, Bootstrap, .NET, etc
- Strong sense of web design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience
- Familiarity with the whole web stack, including protocols and web server optimization techniques
- Relevant work experience, including full time industry experience
- Exceptional communication and listening skills
- Is approachable by his/her team, and works well with others
- Is passionate about their project and their job
- Is a problem solver, and proud of it
- Is passionate about learning new technology and figuring out how to apply it
- Willingness to carve time out to potentially learn a legacy language; having patience to deal with existing code while planning a new future
- A good sense of humor
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- High level of proficiency in relational database architecture and SQL.
- Experience with ORMs, Parameterized Queries, Stored Procedures, and the security trade-offs involved with all of them.
- Experience with unit testing and TDD.
- Demonstrated experience in understanding the thorny issues around interpreting and migrating legacy application code.
- Must always be learning (technology, our business, the industry, our customers).
- Experience developing software using agile methodologies (e.g., Scrum).
- Willingness to have patience with legacy code, and the sense of responsibility to have patience in moving away from it.
Associated topics: back end, c/c++, design pattern, develop, devops, java, matlab, perl, programming, senior
Loading some great jobs for you...