Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Healthcare - Allied Health
In partnership with NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi our teams accommodate more than 325,000 outpatient visits, more than 100,000 emergency room visits and more than 20,000 inpatient admissions annually. NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi is renowned for The Trauma Center, staffed to treat any traumatic injury or illness, the fully accredited Breast Health Center, and The Burn Center, with more than 40 years of work in burn care. The hospital also serves patients of many other needs. The hospital maintains an academic affiliation with Albert Einstein Medical College of Yeshiva University.
In partnership with NYC Health + Hospitals/North Central Bronx our teams handle more than 156,000 outpatient visits, more than 50,000 emergency room visits and more than 7,500 admissions annually in the 232-bed facility. The hospital maintains an academic affiliation with the James J. Peters VA Medical Center.
- Use microscope to examine cytology prepared slides
- Refer adnormal slides to the pahologist to finalize diagnosis
- Documents workload including amount of patient slides, amount of controls and the amount of time taken to do the above mentioned work
- Work in the cytoprep laboratory when necessary to perform accessioning, slide preparation, staining and coverslipping
- Orientale and train cytoprep technicians and cytotechnologists
- Read and document results from stained control slides
- Perform quality control of negative cases and documents results in the computer
- Other duties as they relate to department of Pathology
- Potential cytologists earn a degree in cytology or cytotechnology; however, students may also study other science-related disciplines, such as biology, at the undergraduate level and go on to a cytology graduate program.
- Cytologist certification is offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) students must graduate from an education program accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in order to sit for the certification exam.
- If they pass the exam, applicants earn the certified cytotechnologist designation - CT (ASCP).
- Licensing and Certification State license required; voluntary certification
Associated topics: lab, medical, medical lab science, medical technologist, microbiology, mlt, pathology, scientist, surgical technologist, toxicology
Loading some great jobs for you...