Loading some great jobs for you...
The Manager of Statistical Support Services provides consultation in statistical methods and analysis to Yale researchers. The incumbent is responsible for planning, delivering, coordinating, and promoting a program of instruction in statistical tools and analysis. This position supervises a team of graduate students who support quantitative and qualitative analysis and assesses the quality and relevance of the team's consultation services and instruction. This position solicits and incorporates input from stakeholders to improve services and ensure that statistical support offerings are aligned with curricular and research needs.
The Manager of Statistical Support Services oversees a program that reaches Yale affiliates from a variety of disciplines, departments, and schools, and with diverse skills and needs related to statistics and data. The individual in this role plays an essential part in fostering an inclusive and supportive environment for questions, exploration, and learning.
This position works under the supervision of the Director of Research Support and Outreach Programs for the Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI). As a member of the CSSSI team, the Manager of Statistical Support Services works closely with data and GIS librarians, subject specialist librarians, and research data specialists to support the teaching and research needs of individuals, labs, and departments. This position also collaborates with partners across the university including the Center for Research Computing, the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning, and the Institution for Social and Policy Studies to provide assistance with statistical methods and tools.
1. Advises Yale students, faculty, and researchers on relevant methods and tools for statistical analysis, data collection, data management, and data visualization.
2. Hires, trains, schedules, and evaluates the work of a team of graduate students providing quantitative and qualitative data analysis consultation and instruction.
3. Serves as a resource for student consultants and researchers with complex needs by providing deep and broad expertise in quantitative analysis and a variety of statistical tools.
4. Independently, and in collaboration with data and GIS librarians, creates instructional materials, tutorials, and online documentation relevant to statistical analysis, data collection, data management, and related topics.
5. Provides course-integrated or department-specific instruction and statistical support as needed.
6. With input from faculty and researchers, selects and receives recommendations for statistical software and tools.
7. In consultation with the CSSSI Director of Collection Management, Access and Technical Services, and Technology, recommends specifications for software, computer hardware, and other technology in support of the program and assists in ongoing assessment and maintenance.
8. Promotes statistical support services through a variety of outreach methods, including a website, email list, social media, promotional materials, and events.
9. Practices ongoing, meaningful assessment activities in order to continuously improve statistical support services.
10. Participates in campus-wide research data support services groups.
11. Participates in CSSSI and Yale University Library planning, committees, and work groups to support research, teaching, and learning. Engages in campus, regional and national professional organizations and collaborative activities. Monitors developments and best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of Yales research support services.
1. Provides faculty and students with consulting, user support and instruction in relevant applications and tools for statistical analysis. 2. Provides expertise and support for research design, computational projects and applications with large statistical and/or geospatial datasets. 3. Manages team of PhD students providing qualitative and quantitative data analysis consultation. 4. Contributes to the design and implementation of long-term research data services for the university. 5. Provides guidance at all stages of the research process on discipline-related needs including data management, analysis and visualization. 6. Assists with managing, analyzing and producing projects with statistical and/or geospatial datasets. 7. Develops and implements relevant statistical programs to incorporate data from multiple projects. 8. Assists faculty and other research professionals with the formulation and description of appropriate statistical methods. 9. Creates online documentation and training materials relevant to statistics and data management. 10. In preparation of research grant applications and articles, may assist investigators with writing research methods section pertaining to data analysis, relevance and validity.
Required Education and Experience
Masters degree in the Social Sciences, Computer Science, Information Science or related field and four years of experience in an academic environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated proficiency with advanced quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis, methodology and related software (such as SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, Mathematica, NVivo, etc) in an academic setting. Possess firm understanding of technical applications in statistical research and instruction. Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to design projects related to statistics, data resources, geospatial and/or social science computing and bring them to a timely conclusion. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated proficiency with quantitative statistical analysis, methodologies, and related software (such as SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.) in an academic setting.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated proficiency with statistical research, consulting, and instruction.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to design projects and bring them to a timely conclusion.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse clientele.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
PhD in a social science, computer science, or library/info science. Experience teaching statistical analysis, methods, and tools to diverse audiences. Experience with: qualitative tools and analysis; data management; relational databases; data visualization tools; metadata standards; and/or programming languages.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check.
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...