Job Order ID :
# of Positions :
Minimum Education Level :
Experience Required :
Full Time Regular
First Shift (Day)
Hours per week:
Buffalo. New York State Office of General Services. Veterans Benefits Advisor I. FT. Permanent, Competitive Position. Pay Grade 18.
Closing Date: February 2nd, 2018
Minimum Qualifications Required for Appointment:
The New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs in the near future will assign a Veterans Benefits Advisor 1 to 65 Court Street in Buffalo to work directly with the Veterans Benefits Advisor 2 dedicated to private and State run nursing home facilities.
This notice is intended to provide an opportunity for any Veterans Benefits Advisor 1 interested in transferring to the above identified duty station to do so. The expression of interest should include the employee's date of initial appointment to State service, which shall serve as the employee's seniority date.
* Liaison between agency and New York State's population of Veterans and their family members who are nursing home residents, including those in New York State Veterans Nursing Homes.
* Responsible for submitting claims for Veterans eligible for federal and state Veterans' benefits at the New York State Veterans Nursing Homes.
* Conduct frequent outreach activities at private nursing home facilities and assisted living facilities; and provide Veterans' benefits services at these facilities.
* Serve as a centralized point of contact for nursing homes to refer Veterans and their family members seeking assistance with Veterans' benefits, in accordance with the Public Health Law obligations of all New York State nursing homes.
* Assist elderly Veterans and their family members in transitioning to Elder Care services, including connecting elderly Veterans and their family members to specialized health services from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
* Establish connections with Elder Law attorneys willing to provide pro bono legal services to Veterans and refer at-risk elderly Veterans to Elder Law Attorneys.
* Directly handle VA claims and appeals for residents at the four State Veterans Homes that the Department of Health operates.
* The Veterans Nursing Home Specialist's territory will encompass the region assigned.
* Conduct training courses for VBA1s and local service personnel (VSO).
* Represent Division and Director as requested.
* Ensure that After Action Reports are submitted in a timely and complete fashion.
* Utilize your "Outlook" calendar for all daily activities and appointments. All client appointments and work related activity should be accounted for on the "Outlook" calendar. Access shall be given to your direct supervisor.
* All of the Division's clients will be entered into the electronic Case Management system. Any activity related to a client shall be promptly entered into this system.
* Other duties as directed.
Accreditation by the Department of Veterans' Affairs, through the New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs, as an "agent" pursuant to Section 38C.F.R.14.629 is necessary for continued employment.
To apply for this vacancy, fill out the NYS Employment Application: Part 1 Pre-Interview Form #S1000 which can be found at: https://www.ogs.state.ny.us/about/employment/docs/OGSEA.pdf
Please submit your resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org
, by the February 2nd, 2018 closing date.
New York State Office of General Services